Friday, September 6, 2013

Book a table - impossible!

Part of autumn Kaiseki menu on Roan Kikunoi
- Dried konoko. (Image from http://kikunoi.jp)
I thought I would try to book a table at a nice restaurant in Kyoto and found a restaurant on TripAdvisor that seemed really good, Roan Kikiunoi in Kyoto with two stars. Stylish and clear website but no email address..

I tried to call but the woman who answered could not speak any English at all. (Guessing that most tourists in Kyoto are native so they do not bother to hire someone that speaks English, bit it is still surprising as I have been able to use English to make myself understood in all the other countries I have been to in the past).

Got stroke of genius to write my message on Google Translate and played up the translation over the phone, but then she replied in Japanese! I added in the text that I do not understand Japanese and played it again, and then got the answer "one person no". Unclear whether this means they do not take bookings for 1 person, or if you do not need to book if you are one person.

So, I have to try to make a reservation with help of the hotel when I arrive in Japan instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment