Friday, September 13, 2013

Tour and whisky tasting at Suntory Yamazaki Destillery in Kyoto

Finally here! One of the places on the trip that I was really looking forward to - Suntory Yamazaki Distillery. I arrived 30 minutes before the tour, and took a visit at the Suntorys whiskey museum.

Suntory ad from1929 -
"No more imports needed" reads the headline.
Then it was time for the tour. 30 Japanese guys and me. Thanks to a small appliance, I received a translation of the tour in perfect English and actually understood more than I usually do during our visits to the Scottish destelleries.




After the tour, we were offered a tasting of Suntorys standard whiskey and water from the same water source.


I've gotten spoiled with really good whiskeys from all the tastings with our whiskey club back home  and these standard whiskys is perhaps not worth the trip here. But - after the tour you can continue to the bar and there you can find everything!

I ordered an Yamazaki 18 years, an Yamazaki 25 years and a Yamazaki single cask from 1986. The latter was absolutely fantastic and the 25-year-old who last year was named the world's best single malt whiskey was also lovely.


Very successful visit that was actually better than expected!


Bonus content for whiskey geeks:


The road from the train to Suntory


The person who will welcome you and will assign you the interpreter set.



Pot stills.



The list of specials that are only available on the destillery.

I shared some of my finer whiskys to a Japanese guy who also stood and tested. I then ordered another whiskey that seemed interesting:


Yamazaki single cask from 1995


No comments:

Post a Comment